Coalition of Historical Trekkers Members Message Boards
November 17, 2017, 10:22:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back to the Members Boards!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Linen Water Bucket  (Read 10840 times)
Brian Sengbusch
Pilgrim

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2009, 08:02:07 PM »

What is the best way to keep your linen water bucket from draining in a matter of minutes?
Bryant
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 10:36:23 PM »

Brian,
I have no experience with linen water buckets but do use a couple of heavy canvas water buckets. I assume that you are having the leaking problem when you get to a camp? What you could try is to soak your bucket in something big enough to keep it covered in water for a few days before an event then transport it in a (gasp) plastic bag to keep it wet. This will keep the fabric swollen and should reduce the leaking. But remember it is still cloth and will leak some over time. Hope this helps.

Bryant
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 02:30:11 AM by Bryant McIguire » Logged
Wart (Jim Perkins)
Elder

"Listen while talking"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 02:36:21 AM »

Like Bryant, I've not seen a linen water bucket.  I do have a couple of the 19th century military style canvas water buckets that leak even after soaking them.  They do come in handy to carry tent stakes though :-)

We came across some tin buckets that look the part - narrower at the bottom (like the jackware fire buckets).  The way tin rusts, I spray painted them with copper paint - inside and out before we ever used them.  I wrapped rope around the handles afterwards to make them easier on the hands to carry.
They look good - actually had a guy try to buy them, thinking they were copper.  He didn't believe me when I told him what I had done.  The one thing I do to help keep them from scratching when transporting is - put each in a cloth bag (like a pillow case). 

Rooster (Mark Roster)
Elder

Yes I can be cultured but I don't want to be!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 07:29:55 AM »

Brian,
Canvas or linen will always leak to some degree.  I fill mine at event to the brim and within a few hours it is down to half, fill it up again and maybe by the end of the day it will be down a couple inches, fill it up again and generally it is saturated enough that it will take a couple days  for it to leak out..  Just the nature of the beastie.....if you want something that don't leak - got with a leather firebucket (our own OHio rep Darylee makes some dang nice ones)  or metal like Wart suggested or wood.

Rooster

Its not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena...who errs & comes up short again & again..& spends himself in a worthy cause....
T. Roosevelt
Arkie
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 04:55:01 PM »

I have been amazed how long Bryants buckets have stayed full on outings. but then maybe he just tops them off when im not looking.
Brian Sengbusch
Pilgrim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 07:11:18 AM »

Bryant,
Thanks for the info.  I tried it, but it seem the bottom seam wasn't done very well.  I am going to try using some waterproofing products to see if that will work.  I am only using it as a fire bucket at campsites, so I am not worried about the water quality.

Thanks again Brian
rifleman
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 07:41:07 PM »

I SAW WATER BUCKETS IN THE ARMY- LEAKED,IN THE SCOUTS - LEAKED ! GET SIX ALL CILLED UP & HAVE THREE READY TO GO !
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: