Coalition of Historical Trekkers Members Message Boards
November 24, 2017, 07:50:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back to the Members Boards!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cooking Equipment for a scout or hunting camp  (Read 2472 times)
Roy Draa
« on: July 03, 2009, 03:20:23 AM »

I am revamping my cooking equipment in the spirit of reducing weight and bulk.  I currently carry a tinned tankard and a hand forged skillet I whipped up about two years ago.  That being said I'm wondering if it would be better to go the brass kettle route for the 18th c.  Any pointers on where to find a small trade kettle...that won't break the bank?  I'd like to find one tinned, and plan on reworking the bail and eyelets.  Any pointers are welcome!  I'm thinking the skillet could be left at home, since I could fry meat or corn bread on a rock.  What I need is something in which to boil water other than my cup.  If anyone has references to trade kettles or photos, I'd be much obliged.

-Yours Aye,

Roy (Edw. Drake) Draa

62flint
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 08:23:43 PM »

I got my pot and cup from backwoods tin . It is a copper nesting set. Tinned on the inside not to heavy. I can also cook me a little fry bread in the lid. We don't have many rocks around here so I use my lid.  I roast most of my meat over the fire. Or boil/stew it in my little pot. My smaller pot/cup I make my chocolate or tea in.  Just have to remember to let the drink sit for a spell. Not to comfy when the copper sticks to your lips.
I stopped carring my fry pan also. Just never used it that much. I roast my bacon over the fire. I have fried eggs in my lid for my pot.
Wart (Jim Perkins)
Elder

"Listen while talking"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 07:10:59 AM »

I use to carry a corn boiler and a folding skillet.  Found I rarely used the skillet and removed it
 from my pack.  Have read much about a corn boiler not being documented. What to do Huh
 Decided to use green sticks for any meat cooking - put a wire bail on a tin soup can to heat water
 for coffee or tea. Not fancy but will get you by with little expense and weight. 
 Hope this helps,

Wart

Scott Carlson
Ex-Board
Elder

In God Alone I Trust

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 08:27:31 AM »

Seems a small kettle and a twisted wire fork cover most of my cooking - I think the kettle was orginally from Jarnagin: tin and about 2qts.  The fork I twisted myself - with a bit of copper or brass wire and a stick, it has roasted a lot of meat.

YMOS,
Scott C
treasurer@coht.org
ne-rep@coht.org
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
Sanscoeur
Elder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 12:17:07 PM »

You must have missed the opportunity, at the last Gathering, to buy one of the best reproductions of a brass pot available to our market, sold by Jim Kimpbell of High Horse Traders.

Depuis le vin est tiré, il faut le boire!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: