Coalition of Historical Trekkers Members Message Boards
November 24, 2017, 01:20:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back to the Members Boards!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Betty Lamp  (Read 4268 times)
Stew (McLain C. Stewart)
CAB E
Elder

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2011, 08:30:42 AM »

Howdy,

Any makers of Betty lamps amoung us. I have looked at them for quite some time and would love to get my hands on one. I sure would like to keep it in house and pay someone from our fine organization. I did locate what looked like a nice one posted on "Backwoods Tin." Their asking price was $38.50 which did not seem to high. Feel free to let me know if you have one you would like to part with.

Humbly, Mac

McLain (Mac) Stewart
Longarm
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 10:12:08 PM »

Mac...I too am looking for one. The best one I have seen is in James Townsend Catalog. It's very well made but costs $90.00.

I have several items from Back woods tin and highly recomend him. His stuff is very well made and very reasonable. I believe you took a sip or two...ok maybe three  ( hehehehe) from my lil copper flask that he made. So you held a good example of what he's capable of building.

But as much as I like Bob Bartelme's work (Back woods Tin) I must admit who ever built the betty lamp for James Townsend did a fantastic job. Just not sure I wana spend $90.00 on it.  But...like with all things in life...you get what you pay for....so...I'll prob fork over the cash some day and get it.

Let me know what you decide to do. I know you can't go wrong with Back woods tin...so that may be a good option. The price is sure good.

Longarm
Bear
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 06:55:57 PM »

Hey Mac,

Bryant next door in AR be quite good with the primitive lightng stuff, certainly answer many of your questions.

Sent comm stuff so you all can have at it and not a darn cookie to show for it!

Other posts currently are on spam, so be it,, take a good cookie over heavily salted pork anytime or anyday.  (comm to Dragonlady, Miss Kathy, getting poorly on this end)
Wart (Jim Perkins)
Elder

"Listen while talking"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 07:53:53 PM »

I'll be with a guy this coming weekend at Fort Niagara - he does period smithing and makes Betty Lamps.  I think he gets around $40 for them.  Guys I'll be honest with you, I don't know much about Betty Lamps. Have seen several used but never really got in to it myself.  I wouldn't be afraid to try Pat's, he a stickler for correctness (sp). 

Wart

Longarm
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 08:24:59 AM »

Hey Wart, could you provide us with his info and poss pics of it...interested in seeing what he does.
Longarm
Wart (Jim Perkins)
Elder

"Listen while talking"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 10:59:47 AM »

I'll get what info. I can and pass it along ..........

Stew (McLain C. Stewart)
CAB E
Elder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 07:24:55 AM »

Brother Wart,

Good to hear from you. I sure hope your good wife is well. I too would be interested in additional information. Thanks for the update. Hope to talk to you soon.

Humbly,
Mac

McLain (Mac) Stewart
Wart (Jim Perkins)
Elder

"Listen while talking"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 09:22:38 PM »

I contacted Pat - here's his reply  "I can give you a list of my standard items with prices if you wish.  All I make are documented pieces, most from collections or from published books of collections.  I do make some items upon request, but I usually ask for documentation or for information where I can get it before making it.  Most of what I make are utilitarian pieces,  I am not much into making art objects.  "

I'll see him this weekend guys - send me your email address' so I can give it to him so you all can be in direct contact.

Stew (McLain C. Stewart)
CAB E
Elder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 07:48:19 AM »

Wart,

Thanks for all the leg work. I use my work e-mail. mclain.stewart@boystown.org. I would be interested in additional. I am not looking for anything pretty and authentic is just what the Docotr ordered.

Again Thanks,
Mac

McLain (Mac) Stewart
Jim Harsh
Governor
Elder

Put your slogan here by clicking on profile

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 08:24:24 AM »

Hi Wart,

Put jhsb@cybermesa.com on the list.

Thanks for looking into this.

Jim
Susy Epperson
State Rep
Elder

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 06:47:54 PM »

Hi Wart,

ME too, Me too ! ...  please.  (think you have my address already ?)

Hey ... primitive trekking .... was cool but fun ... copper still works great !

Hope all well.

... Susy
Wart (Jim Perkins)
Elder

"Listen while talking"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 06:10:10 AM »

Ok all,  I've sent Pat your email address' - he'll get back with you after Fort Niagara (we're all leaving in the a.m. and will be back on the 4th).

Wart

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: