Coalition of Historical Trekkers Members Message Boards
November 20, 2017, 04:42:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back to the Members Boards!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smoothbore  (Read 1725 times)
Stew (McLain C. Stewart)
CAB E
Elder

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2016, 10:43:17 AM »

Ok this is a lame attempt at best but I'm just going to toss it out there! For many years now I have wanted to hunt turkey and deer strictly primitively. I'm not a man of great means but have wanted a smoothbore rifle for years. I truly want to hunt small game and turkey dressed historically but haven't had a weapon to do so. I did recently make a call to a man who I've admired his weapons from afar for years but never called. I would love to purchase a handmade rifle but need to do so on a limited budget. I am not looking for anything fancy but certainly functional. The gentleman quoted me a price of no less than $4,000.00 and I truly respect the work he does and it would be well worth the price tag. I don't have that kind of money but it is something I would like to change. The owning of a rifle not the price tag.

So I'm reaching out to my brothers and sister for advice and direction on how I can change my circumstances. I know there are those among our group who know others that this is what they do for a living. Oh, and the wait time on the rifle mentioned above was no less than a year to maybe two years out.

With my humblest inquiry,

Mac   

McLain (Mac) Stewart
Bear
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 05:48:21 PM »

Mac,
From your provided info looking for a smooth rifle, as in smooth bored tube on a rifle styled stock with rifle type sights, that correct?
If so that is a harder search be it custom or not as opposed to any variation of the smoothbore guns common to North America.
As to instinctive shooting which any smoothbore is, that rear sight is actually worthless, try to find it on anything with wings.
Plus, a deer don't care at ethical / effective range, they be brown and down.

Stew (McLain C. Stewart)
CAB E
Elder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 06:43:21 PM »

Brad,

My answer would be yes! In that I'm looking for a smooth bore for lead ball and shot. No rifling and that would transition nicely. Rifle stock and sights. Would a particular location such as Virginia or Pennsylvania help with the process. Ancestors settled in Illinois but came by way of Pennsylvania. Maybe a particular maker that would be recommended for such a rifle. My primary goal is turkey hunting but certainly other critters as well. Thanks!

Mac

Scott sent me some ideas as well. 

McLain (Mac) Stewart
Bear
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 08:30:07 AM »

Mac,

From my feeble research the Virginia / Southern smooth rifles have an English influence whereas Pennsylvania guns were mostly Germanic.
Not that there is a lot of difference in either might want to consider persona, if Ancestors came from PA maybe best to look for something of the area.

There are quite a few places today that offer smooth rifles from kit to finished gun as well as those that offer them for sale, no plugs on any from here.

Stew (McLain C. Stewart)
CAB E
Elder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 07:40:32 AM »

Thanks Brad! Any bit of advice helps and it will come to pass. I'm trying to be patient.

McLain (Mac) Stewart
irishredhead
Ex-Board
Elder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 07:34:39 PM »

Please call Bob and discuss it with him. Often he comes across a good gun for a good price. If you let him know what you want and what you can spend he will keep a eye out for one. Plus you might be able to do some trading.
Bob cell 479- 202-3222 and home 479-271-7607

irishred
Stew (McLain C. Stewart)
CAB E
Elder

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 07:32:10 AM »

Thanks Tammy,

I will do so!

McLain (Mac) Stewart
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print